Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Poll regarding CI 3.1.x to CI 4.1.x upgrade
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
upgraded to CI 4.1.x and I am satisfied with the webapp on CI 4.1.x
50.00%
8 50.00%
upgraded to CI 4.1.x and I am not satisfied with the webapp on CI 4.1.x
6.25%
1 6.25%
tried upgrade to CI 4.1.x but had problems, so I am holding off upgrades temporarily or permanently
0%
0 0%
have not yet tried upgrade to CI 4.1.x but will do soon
31.25%
5 31.25%
not upgrading to CI 4.1.x, staying on CI 3.x
12.50%
2 12.50%
not upgrading to CI 4.1.x, considering switch to other PHP framework
0%
0 0%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll regarding CI 3.1.x to CI 4.1.x upgrade

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021, 01:59 PM by dkwhisler.)

This poll is for those who have at least one CI 3.x based webapp - regarding the upgrade from CI 3.x to CI 4.x.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021, 08:44 PM by InsiteFX. Edit Reason: Added link to topic )

You do know that one of our users has written an app to upgrade CodeIgniter3.x to 4.x

Search the add ins.

CodeIgniter 3 to 4 Upgrade Helper
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

That's not really an app to upgrade from 3 to 4, it's a wrapper that mimics the CI3 syntax... It can be a temporary solution to help migrate to version 4 and I'm sure it can help the migration from 3 to 4, but it's not a definite solution.
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

Cool poll! Thanks for posting this. I have so many CI3 apps that I fulfill almost every option, so I’m not sure what to put but needless to say: upgrading is complicated and the outcome isn’t always what one expects!

I'm writing something for the blog of the great @includebeer, https://includebeer.com/en/blog, about the beautiful work he did giving the example of creating an app on CI4. I am an amateur but I see that the big problem in relation to CI4, which was built from scratch, is that there was not only a technical evolution but a radical change, in my view, in the philosophy and objective of the framework.

Of course, you can use it in many different ways, but if you escape the main purpose of designing the framework, you will have many difficulties. It is no longer a tool of general use.

Still from my point of view, following a trend, for me, a little strange: frameworks are being used to create CMS applications. The CodeIgniter website is the best and a great example. All applications are "armored", hermetic, not related to each other, typically like CMS applications.

“a radical change, in my view, in the philosophy and objective of the framework.”

I’d be curious to hear you elaborate on that @wdeda. Version 4 is a drastic code change and approach from version 3 (I’ve written on that plenty in these forums, won’t go into it here) but in my opinion what has kept it “CodeIgniter” is precisely the philosophy and objective. To quote the website: “CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework with a very small footprint, built for developers who need a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications.”

The CodeIgniter Web Site was written using CodeIgniter 4.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

English is not my native language and this sometimes complicates communication.
Two important points:
1 - I believe that I was one of the first to fully migrate my applications from version 3 to version 4, and I am satisfied;

2 - @mgartner, "a radical change, in my view, in the philosophy and objective of the framework." it does not necessarily mean that this has worsened the framework, remembering that the topic is about upgrading between versions, and in this respect the learning curve, and consequently the difficulties, is considerable.

I'm not talking about the difficulties I encountered, which were minimal, considering my level of knowledge, but in the posts about the difficulties encountered and reported almost daily in the forums and the example of building an app on the @includedbeer blog. There, https://includebeer.com/en/blog, a series of new resources and directions makes me believe in a change of philosophy, technically speaking, inherent. including the natural evolution of PHP in version 7.x.x.
Resistance to the new is natural, it forces you to leave your comfort area. I disagree with some things, mainly, from my point of view and limitations, of redundancy. But this is a matter of approaching the tool, I try to adapt to it and, whenever possible, make the reciprocal be true.

Being on CI 3.x and 4.x with various projects I don't know how to cast my vote.
I am happy with the performance of my 3.x projects and happy with the new functionality and modernity (is that a word?) with my 4.x projects. Porting my 3.x projects to 4.x is not something that will happen any time soon.

(05-02-2021, 10:54 PM)tgix Wrote: Being on CI 3.x and 4.x with various projects I don't know how to cast my vote.
I am happy with the performance of my 3.x projects and happy with the new functionality and modernity (is that a word?) with my 4.x projects. Porting my 3.x projects to 4.x is not something that will happen any time soon.
I am also very happy with all of my CI 3.x based webapps I created.   

However, I haven't seen any information declaring that CI 3.x supports PHP 8.x.     But, I do see that CI 4.x supports PHP 8.x, so it seems that whether we want to (or not), if we wish to keep our webapps up and running, we all will need to upgrade from CI 3.x to CI 4.x, because our webservers will soon need to be upgraded from PHP 7.x to 8.x in order to keep up with technology changes, security, etc..   PHP 7.x will soon be unsupported.    See https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB