Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
PHP IDE with support CodeIgniter

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
[quote author="clod" date="1260191535"]
Do you know any another IDE that support CodeIgniter framework directly?
[/quote]

Any good quality IDE (not text editor, but full IDE. Many people confuse the two.) will be able to add all CodeIgniter files to a "project", parse them, and then handle autocomplete for CodeIgniter, or any other framework, out of the box without a plug in. It sounds to me like your product is a glorified text editor being touted as an IDE.

To me, for it to be an IDE for Web Development, it should have the following features or else it's just a text editor. (In otherwords, without the following features, I am telling you it's not really an "Integrated Development Environment.")
* Does it have integrated code debugging? My IDE does.
* Does it handle Syntax checks? My IDE does.
* Does it have pop-up tool tips telling you how to complete function parameters? My IDE does.
* Does it have FTP/SFTP Support for remote editing? My IDE does.
* Does it have SVN/CVS support? My IDE does.
* Does it have SSH/telnet support to make it easier to work with your server's command line when you're setting up a site? My IDE does.

I certainly don't mind paying for a good IDE. I expect to get paid for the coding I do, and am happy to pay others for the coding they do if it is what I am in need of. (Matthew 10:7 says that the laborer deserves his wages, and I happen to agree.)

But I do more than code in PHP with CodeIgniter. I also do a lot of JavaScript, and have frameworks there that need the support of AutoComplete. I also do programming for desktop boxes in Windows/Linux/Mac from time to time (my most recent job) and need an IDE that can support what I do there as well. Your application simply would not be robust enough to even come close to meeting my needs.

Even if I only considered CodeIgniter coding, it still falls short of what I am currently using by a large margin. I'm using UEStudio and it does way more than AutoComplete for code. It also gives IntelliTips, which once AutoComplete has completed a CodeIgniter function for me, it will tell me what parameters need to be passed to that function (without having to go to the help files.) Not just for CodeIgniter, but every framework out of the box, without the need for plug-ins. You can configure it for context sensitive help for almost anything. I've got it set up for quite a few languages and frameworks, including PHP, XHTML, HTML, JavaScript, CodeIgniter, and more. Except I didn't configure it for web access (which is easily done in UEStudio), I configured it for local help files and local web pages, which display much faster than from online.

Of course, a person pays a bit more for something that does all the UEStudio does. It's normally $129.95 US, but currently on sale for the holidays for $79.99 US. (Shareware, so you can try it for 45 days before you buy. I tried it and couldn't live without it after giving myself time to learn it.)

I've tried pretty much everything out there, and I just won't bother looking any further.

[eluser]überfuzz[/eluser]
[quote author="GSV Sleeper Service" date="1251226563"]
Quote:1) It is written on C++ ant therefor is more easier.
eh? by the same logic : I will be a better cook if my paint my kitchen blue[/quote]
No, you must be meaning Bleu. Confusedmirk:

[eluser]clod[/eluser]
Hi.

Big thanks for expanded answer.
We undestand all functionality that modern IDE must have.
We have already several major features from your list, several features are in process now.
There is impossible to do all at once Sad
But we improve our IDE each day and step by step.

We have already powerful debugger, HTML/CSS/PHP/JavaScript autocomlete, parser for classes in the current project for autocomplete and etc. And all this abilities are free absolutely in our IDE!

BTW we have already several tens customers of our special CodeIgniter plug-in.
Big thanks everyone for trust, we will simplify coding in the Codelobster permanently.

Regards,
Codelobster Team.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hi Daniel,

As I'm ever on the lookout for a replacement for my aging and pretty much EOL'd [url="http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/"]Quanta[/url] IDE, I thought I'd give your recommendation a try. The closest alternative I've discovered so far has been Aptana - but despite weighing in at about 300MB (compared to Quanta's 6MB) it can't show tabs without also showing spaces (who needs that?) and CR's (ditto), can be configured to understand about 27 styles of indenting (but not mine), does random and annoying things with returns on indented lines, takes ages to start up, is a right royal pain to customise the colours for (and you can't customise the interface, only the editor colours anyway) .. and a few other things that for the sake of sanity I've forgotten.

Anyway ...

[quote author="Daniel Moore" date="1260229821"]
It sounds to me like your product is a glorified text editor being touted as an IDE.
[/quote]

The first warning should have been that UEStudio is only available as a Microsoft download (specifically the warning is that they have a Fista symbol near the download button). UE is available for various GNU/Linux distros, though ..

Quote:I also do programming for desktop boxes in Windows/Linux/Mac from time to time (my most recent job) and need an IDE that can support what I do there as well.

Presumably when you're on a more powerful operating system you only need a glorified text editor.

As an aside, and in case anyone else stumbles across this thread while considering UE / UltraEdit for Linux, it also can't show tabs without showing spaces and paragraph marks too (what is this - Word 5?), bracket highlighting only shows the *other* bracket - so it always looks unbalanced and makes it harder to do 'at a glance' stuff, opening an existing project is hugely counter-intuitive (I couldn't get it to sanely add the contents of an extant folder to a Project at all), the Debian package's dependencies are a bit screwy with regards coping with newer versions of shared libraries (viz it doesn't) ... and I'll stop there.

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
[quote author="jedd" date="1260291530"]Hi Daniel,
As an aside, and in case anyone else stumbles across this thread while considering UE / UltraEdit for Linux, it also can't show tabs without showing spaces and paragraph marks too (what is this - Word 5?), bracket highlighting only shows the *other* bracket - so it always looks unbalanced and makes it harder to do 'at a glance' stuff, opening an existing project is hugely counter-intuitive (I couldn't get it to sanely add the contents of an extant folder to a Project at all), the Debian package's dependencies are a bit screwy with regards coping with newer versions of shared libraries (viz it doesn't) ... and I'll stop there.[/quote]

Yes, well, comparing apples with apples here. The topic is concerning a Windows only IDE as well. As I use XP as my primary operating system, and have Linux distro boxes for testing of desktop applications, it's what I prefer. I suppose I should have pointed that out in the post though, thanks for catching that.

Opening existing projects is quite simple for someone used to a menu driven system, but the Project menu is separate, and not under the File menu, as both menus are rather long because of the number of features in each area. Most programming IDEs (non-web development IDEs) have a separate project menu. For those used to such robust IDEs, then it should be quite intuitive. If you've only done programming for the web, then you probably are used to something different. As I started programming in 1976, web programming is relatively new to me compared to other forms of programming, so I tend to lean towards what I'm used to.

Adding folders to a project is simple as well, just "uncheck" the "group" checkbox. You have the option of adding "groups" or "directories" to a project, where a group is a "named group" to help you group files from different directories that you want to load from the same place. Adding directories will add all existing and future files to the project.

It does NOT show paragraph marks with spaces and tabs. Paragraph marks are a separate configuration menu. Apparently, you didn't look closely. It does show spaces and tabs together, but when I'm loading other people's code, that's exactly what I want, as some people tend to mix spaces and tabs, and it helps me to sort that out.

A true evaluation would take more than 10 minutes. I spent 3 weeks evaluating, using it daily to see if it would increase my productivity. During that time I was able to adapt to it, and it has greatly increased my productivity since I have taken the time to learn it fully.

I've found nothing that can handle manipulating the things it manipulates faster. Nothing. And I've tested quite a lot, certainly every major one out there and definitely every one that's been mentioned in these forums.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="Daniel Moore" date="1260323376"]
Opening existing projects is quite simple for someone used to a menu driven system, but the Project menu is separate, and not under the File menu, as both menus are rather long because of the number of features in each area. Most programming IDEs (non-web development IDEs) have a separate project menu.
[/quote]

I'm hip with this - I am using an IDE (Quanta) that understands projects, and has a separate project menu.

When I said that opening an existing project was counter-intuitive - I should have said opening an existing directory structure was counter-intuitive.

Quote:Adding folders to a project is simple as well, just "uncheck" the "group" checkbox.

I've done this, and it doesn't recursively add directories - it only adds the files in a given directory.

Oh - I think I may have it here. You have to edit the Filters - a text file in which you can't hit return to go to the next line, because it thinks return means to activate the OK button. Okay - edit the filters file and add in a new paragraph for .php, .html, .css, .js files.

Quote:It does NOT show paragraph marks with spaces and tabs.

You're right - I apologise for my mistake. I wrote my rant after playing with the thing for an hour or so, but should have been making better notes as I went.

I think what frustrated me, and why I was confused, was because I thought I could be sneaky and change the colour of the space-character to the same as the background colour, effectively masking it, while getting the thing to show me tabs only. Alas, in the colours dialog you can't change tabs/spaces separately from paragraph markers - they are all bundled in as one entity in there. Thwarted again.

Quote:It does show spaces and tabs together, but when I'm loading other people's code, that's exactly what I want, as some people tend to mix spaces and tabs, and it helps me to sort that out.

Your need to work with other people's code, and my need to not show spaces, could be equally satisfied by the perfectly sane (and what I suggested already) approach of being able to toggle spaces and tabs, separately. In your case you'd show both, in my case I'd show tabs. The facility isn't what I'd call especially advanced, and many IDE's and editors have been able to do this for a decade or more.

I may play with it some more but at the moment my feeling is that it's just a pretty poor editor. The WinXP IDE variety may well be compelling, but the Linux editor version certainly is not.

Oh well, back to trying to compile [url="http://github.com/etexteditor/e"]e[/url] again.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
jedd did you give Netbeans a try? I know it's java and it might feel sluggish on an older PC, but if you have a decent development box it's a pretty good editor.

Else maybe sharpen your VI(M) skills? ;-)

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="n0xie" date="1260475190"]
jedd did you give Netbeans a try? I know it's java and it might feel sluggish on an older PC, but if you have a decent development box it's a pretty good editor.
[/quote]

I'm on a quad-core with 2GB ... and it's depressing just how sluggish an editor (uttered contemptuously) can appear when written in java, eh?

I tried Aptana for a while as it was meant to be similar to, but nicer (more PHP friendly for starters) than, Netbeans and Eclipse.

I see that Aptana has also recently dropped its PHP support, and suggested users try to plug in PDT in its place. Given my negative experience of Eclipse was what led me to follow people's suggestions to use Aptana instead ... this is very sad news.

I'm sure I tried NetBeans a while back - might crank it up again, just in case. Okay - just kicked off the d/l for (Though I am far from optimistic.) Bizarrely Debian is only packaging 6.0 in its unstable branch, but 6.8 appears to be the current release.

Quote:Else maybe sharpen your VI(M) skills? ;-)

There are doubtless some spiffy features of vim that I don't know about yet - I only discovered that it can open .zip files by accident the other day, f.e. - but I've become a bit addicted to some of the GUI features of an IDE.

I had to use vi on a UK keyboard yesterday - a truly painful experience ... comparable to playing nethack on a dvorak keyboard I suspect.

[eluser]rogierb[/eluser]
I'm with Jedd on this, tried the editor but it lacked to many features.

I got Netbeans, zend studio 7.1 and zend studio 5.5 running but am still mainly on zend studio 5.5

After numerous tweaks it far outperformes Netbeans and ZS 7(.1).
The only big downside is laks support for CI.

So if anybody knows a good IDE with support for CI and faster than ZS7 or Netbeans...

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="jedd" date="1260477723"][quote author="n0xie" date="1260475190"]
[/quote]

I'm on a quad-core with 2GB ... and it's depressing just how sluggish an editor (uttered contemptuously) can appear when written in java, eh?
[/quote]
Yeah that's why was careful with how I worded my suggestion. Netbeans has a lot of nice features, but even on my quad core 4gb under Linux it sometimes feels sluggish. The solution seems to be to close and re-open it once every few days. I guess Java is leaking memory like there's no tomorrow. I also noticed keeping the number of projects opened to a minimum dramatically improves performance (I guess it searches in all your projects if you use Intellisense).

Either way it's a shame there is no 'perfect' IDE at the moment. Most IDE's I try lack serious features I come to suspect from my IDE, and the one's who do have what I want (Netbeans) take up more resources then all my other programs combined.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB