Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter 2.0 - my solving of this problem

[eluser]Wuushu[/eluser]
[quote author="Demedes" date="1261331310"]And i want to create Auth library and different libraries for working with web services like Twitter, Google, Yahoo, Bit.ly etc… Does everybody need this?[/quote]

So basically if that's why you are looking into making your "own codeigniter".. why don't you just make those as libraries and call it a day? I bet people would actually (maybe) want to use it then. Smile

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
Thanks to my medium level of English, I didn't understand last sentences. )) Can you explain your reply in other way?

[eluser]Wuushu[/eluser]
Ah sorry, what I meant was - if you're planning on making various Auth integrations, and other enhancements - why not just make them into CI libraries so that anyone can use them? Then they will be supported by the official CI, and most likely get used by more people. Smile Just my 2 cents.

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
I promise you, all coding style and file system structure will be saved! This will be like ci clone, but much more extended and with UTF8 support. I think this is the main feature! Don't you?

[eluser]Wuushu[/eluser]
I don't think you understand the issue. I, and I guess many other people are unlikely to ever install (replace) their official CI installtion with a "hack" that with future (official) CI updates would not be compatible due to core file changes.

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
Oh, now I understand what you are talking about. But who knows when ci 2.0 comes?

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
[quote author="Demedes" date="1261358265"]Oh, now I understand what you are talking about. But who knows when ci 2.0 comes?[/quote]

Nobody knows. And it's not that important either...
If you want a peek of it, buy a copy of Expression Engine 2.0 which is built on CI. It seems to have some new features...

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
1- PHP4 - what does it hurt to leave CI as it is in this regard? I don't understand how removing php4 compatibility helps anything. Most extensions and external libraries for CI are available only under php5 anyway, so I just don't see the point. Honestly, why?

2- UTF-8 support - great! This I think would be of interest in general, but be aware that Ellison has already stating they'll be doing this in the next major release anyway, so any fork you do only be duplicating their effort and making initial utf8 support available sooner. Assuming you release something significant enough before they do, and there isn't exactly a way to do "utf8++" - once you have it, its done.

Why not just release details or a package to make the current CI utf8 compatible?

3- Libraries: everything you mention is something that can be done in CI as it is, without modification. There are numerous auth libraries available, and still isn't one I think is a slam-dunk.

4- CMS - there is presently Ionize being heavily developed, PyroCMS, ExpressionEngine for a commercial solution, and countless other lightly used CMS projects.

You state that you want to make a fork to make your own CMS, but why do you need to spend any time on forking CI when you can just focus on making the CMS? In its present state I don't see that it's stopped anyone from making a CMS as it is.

It just seems like there needs to be some good, big reasons to even touch a core CI file, much less attempt a fork. So far you haven't given any, so I just don't get it.

All the libraries you mention could be used in CI as it is, like Google Analytics, Google Maps, Google anything, facebook, twitter, myspace, search, modular cms, backend-only cms, ORM extensions...

[eluser]danijelb[/eluser]
Well, I think that you will contribute more to the CI community if you write all those libraries for the CI.
Because more people will use them. It looks like they would be very usefull.

A fork of CI means that less people will use it, simply because it's a fork.

And maybe, if you want something yours, try to write your own framework, it will improve your coding (and logic) skils, but don't think it's easy. I tried once, I had routing, MVC pattern implemented, templating and one unique feature called Project Generator GUI. With one helper, an asset helper, and one library, File manipulation library. It was written not that long ago, but it wasn't written with quality. Now I'm a better programmer, and some day, maybe I'll rewrite it, PHP 5.3 only.

Please, contribute to the community by providing us your usefull libraries for the CI, and we'll use them Smile

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
Thank you. Maybe I will do that(extending ci, not fork). Wait a patch for CI 1.7.2 that implements UTF-8 support and geoip helper! :-)
P.S. If you think that I'm a newbie, you are definitely wrong Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB