Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Website stops responding a few times a day, no apparent reason.

[eluser]smilie[/eluser]
Hi,

MySQL replication is when you have at least 2 databases:
1 master
1 slave

All data is beeing written, edited and deleted on master database; and replication sends all data (SQL commands) to the slave. This is done to 'protect' data in case 1 sql server crashes. Some also use it for beter performance (master only does write statements, while all read comes from slave).

Anyway, mysql replication logging means that you do have replication setup. Otherwise, there would be nothing to log. So, let someone with server administration experience check up what is really going on. If you do have mysql replication, there should be a reason why this is :-)

In any case, you do can 'tweak' replication logs not to take that much space. You can also delete some older logs (i.e. older then 10 days).

MySQL replication should however not slow down your system. Master is trying to send all data almost instantly, but if it is too busy serving data, it 'holds' replication until it has more resources to do it so.

Did you enable mysql-slow-log? If not - do so. And check if you really need mysql replication. If not, disable replication and delete those logs.

Cheers,
Smilie

[eluser]alitech[/eluser]
Hi Smilie

Appreciate your reply. Thanks for the insight. I have a couple more questions for you.

1. Do we have to disable the replication logs at server level or by the coding or app level?
2. I never asked for replication so not sure if this is something that is set up by default on the server or codeignitor framework, is it safe to turn it off?
3. Should I ask my hosting provider to delete the logs or is it something my developer can do?
4. I only have 1 box which has everything on it, files, sql and everything, do you reckon i could have 2 instances of the SQL server on the same box as you mention the master and slave?

[eluser]tonanbarbarian[/eluser]
you are obviously not using replication, so you should get it turned off.
It may be possible to do that in your hosting control panel if you have one, otherwise contact the hosting provider and ask for it to be turned off.
There is a small posibility that they have turned it on for some form of backup, but i doubt it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB