Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
off topic please help me :(

[eluser]Mirge[/eluser]
So there's no benefit to using a premade solution that saves time (and hence, MONEY) when it's appropriate? Especially one that's been tested by tens of thousands of users and is extremely robust & flexible?

If you prefer to develop everything from scratch that's your choice. I prefer to make money and save time. Because I use Wordpress, if that means you strip me of my developer title (ROFL), it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit... or my wallet.. or my clients.

You've got a link to my portfolio, where's yours? And you work 120+ hours/week? I have a wife & daughter... no time for that. Quality over quantity Smile

[eluser]jblack199[/eluser]
your portfolio is kinda weak really. and yes I work 120+ hours a week, and I have a wife and 3 kids... I make time for them too... the beauty of working at home I can program while taking care of my children....

You wouldn't be a developer if you use wordpress and only download/install plugins... where in that is the development? but if you CAN/HAVE programmed your own plugins or whatever then great.... if you all into that 10% of WP/CMS users then good on you....

My portfolio is on paper, atm I'm a developer without a website.. and why? because I have more than enough work coming in from word-of-mouth that I don't have the need for a website of my own.... I also get constant repeat business from people as well.... In fact, next month I have been contracted by a web development company in another state to watch over the entire company while the owner has a baby and why? because I've done it before, and I do a lot of work for the company that they themselves cant do (they are joomla users)... so portfolio/website for myself? don't need it been in the programming industry for over 20 years, I have had a lot of clients (for both web development and application programming) that constantly drive more business my way in that amount of time.

[eluser]Mirge[/eluser]
[quote author="jblack199" date="1313815637"]your portfolio is kinda weak really. and yes I work 120+ hours a week, and I have a wife and 3 kids... I make time for them too... the beauty of working at home I can program while taking care of my children....

You wouldn't be a developer if you use wordpress and only download/install plugins... where in that is the development? but if you CAN/HAVE programmed your own plugins or whatever then great.... if you all into that 10% of WP/CMS users then good on you....

My portfolio is on paper, atm I'm a developer without a website.. and why? because I have more than enough work coming in from word-of-mouth that I don't have the need for a website of my own.... I also get constant repeat business from people as well.... In fact, next month I have been contracted by a web development company in another state to watch over the entire company while the owner has a baby and why? because I've done it before, and I do a lot of work for the company that they themselves cant do (they are joomla users)... so portfolio/website for myself? don't need it been in the programming industry for over 20 years, I have had a lot of clients (for both web development and application programming) that constantly drive more business my way in that amount of time.[/quote]

Oh ok... my portfolio is weak, but you don't have one. I have multi-million dollar companies on mine, but you don't have one.

If you're working 120 hours a week, that gives you 48 non-working hours per week, or 6.86 non-working hours per day. That's consumed with sleep for sure, but you still have time for family? So somewhere in your story you're blowing smoke, and I imagine the vast majority of it is. No serious developer, especially a WEB DEVELOPER, doesn't have a website. That's like being a mechanic and choosing not to own a vehicle.

I work from home as well, very blessed to be in the position where I can work from home and make a good living from it and provide for my family.

Anyhoo, I'm not here to make enemies, that's neither profitable nor enjoyable. When you decide you want to make more money by expanding your horizons a bit and letting go of that security blanket a bit, give me a shout & I'd be more than happy to lend a hand. Like I said, I'm actively *turning away* work... sure wish I had a reputable developer I could send them to, rather than simply turning them away. And nobody contacts me unless they're willing to pay at least $50/hr anymore...

[eluser]jblack199[/eluser]
While I have a domain (multiple actually), I just haven't had the time to sit down and create a design or do the programming on it. I also don't work 7 days a week.... I have plenty of time for family (120+ per week is averaged out per month) and I always have children screaming in my ear while working...

I am not here to make enemies either. However the 'security blanket' that you reference, I am unsure what you are talking about there. I prefer to not use wordpress or a pre-built CMS but like to do the custom programming because that's what I am. I am however currently working on my own CMS that could rival joomla/drupal or even wordpress if I actually released it. I won't be releasing it to the masses as it is a project for me to do to say I did it completely by myself instead of having a full team to do it, and to make my job easier because I will admit using a CMS does make it easier -- I just don't like any of the CMS's out there.

I will however admit, that WP through the years has gotten a lot closer to being a full blown CMS but in my opinion it isn't there just yet maybe in another 5 years I'll consider it to be more of a CMS.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB