Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
ETA on CI3 PHP8.2 support?

The direct cause is the lack of a maintainer who can release CI3.

No matter how many millions of users there are, if there is no one to release, no new version will be released.

I agree with previous speakers. I think that CI 3 users are still counting on a new CI version that will only support PHP 8 and no one expects new functionalities.

If someone becomes a maintainer and releases version 3.2, he will be like a god to all of them ;-)

If there are no technical reasons, then how to become a maintainer? I am not asking for myself, because I am not using GitHub as it is owned by Microsoft.

To become a maintainer, you must prove that you are qualified. 
No one can become one easily.

Besides, no one chooses a new maintainer because there are no active maintainers already. 
So it is almost impossible to become a new maintainer.

What is practical is to fork CI3 and maintain it unofficially.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2023, 05:34 AM by Muzikant.)

The new version cannot be released, because there are no maintainers and it is almost impossible to become a new maintainer. Is it a GitHub thing, or the decision of developers?

I don't think GitHub has anything to do with it.

CI3 had been maintained for years by one maintainer.
There is no announcement from the people who were the maintainers that they will stop being the maintainers.
There is no official announcement, only that development has stopped.

I tried laravel, CI4, but I always come back to CI3+hmvc+repository pattern. I dont know if that is a bad idea but it get things done.

I have just migrated a large application on CI3 to php 8.2. The work was quite small, mostly just inserting a few #[AllowDynamicProperties]. This should last me for at least 2 years while I plan what to do next (CI4, CI3++ , Laraval or something else).

(11-08-2023, 06:13 AM)pugelarouge Wrote: Hello,

I have also just hit PHP 8.2 (ubuntu 23.10) an was wondering the same.
I realise I am going to have to bite the bullet and move to CI 4.x at some point - but that is a bit more than the usual migration so will take some time.

Is there a stated policy regarding CI 3 and when it will stop chasing PHP8.x updates ? or is it going to try and keep up until PHP 9 ?
as I understand it PHP 8.x workarounds like #[AllowDynamicProperties] will go in PHP 9.x  and dynamic properties will be fatal

Thanks In advance,
pugelarouge

(01-20-2024, 06:26 AM)colinh Wrote: I have just migrated a large application on CI3 to php 8.2. The work was quite small, mostly just inserting a few #[AllowDynamicProperties]. This should last me for at least 2 years while I plan what to do next (CI4, CI3++ , Laraval or something else).

I have a huge project written in CI3. It's going to be very difficult to justify re-writing it all when it works perfectly well. I am hoping CI3 can be released to work with PHP 8.2. If not then I guess I will have to do what you've done.

It seems that there are some people who are forking privately, so I think there is a way to cooperate with them.

There is also at least one person who is publicly forking.
https://packagist.org/packages/pocketarc/codeigniter

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB