Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Reactor vs Core

[eluser]codepotato[/eluser]
[quote author="Dennis Rasmussen" date="1294261951"]As much as I enjoy seeing the earlier work of the 6 announced Reactor folks, I have to agree with Mr. Wiredesignz (non-personal stuff).

I currently have this sad feeling that Reactor is going to be unstable/undesirable because of many factors, where one could be Phil crying out loud about this and that missing feature (yes I'm following his blog and I'm sure you all are because of the repeating hype about CodeIgniter and EllisLab).

Then some of you say that you're not going to bash in 100s of different libraries to the system, but in a couple of posts in this topic already I see about 10+ things you're going to add to the Reactor... 10+... really?

So what's wrong with having CodeIgniter as a core and modifying it the way your want (adding libraries/resources you need for that specific website) rather than being forced to use Reactor because you need this particular feature, which you could have added as a plugin for CI Core instead?[/quote]

Hmm.. wasn't one of the reasons reactor was started was to allow extra features to be brought in? Of course in the early days more features will be brought in and in time less and less features will be added. Your remark about 10+ is because those 10+ features are things that the community have requested time and time again. Just because they may not be beneficial to you doesn't mean that they're not to others.

Really getting annoyed by the number of personal attacks on members of the codeigniter community. The 6 chaps in charge of the direction of reactor do so in their own time; they're not paid, they're not getting anything out of it other than a better framework.

Enough with the bitchin'. If the effort people are putting into the attacks would go towards extra bug-fixing of CI 2.0 or modules / tutorials, we wouldn't be in this situation.

[eluser]MVUG[/eluser]
Reactor is gonna be cool, and I can't wait to test it! Keep up the good work!

[eluser]CoolGoose[/eluser]
Why should I have to add every single damn time the same damn libraries that do the same function to compensate for what's missing in the damn core ?

Ever heard of DRY ?

[eluser]Mark Croxton[/eluser]
No one will be forced to use Reactor and of course you could just continue to extend the CI core if you prefer.

Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing Reactor and I hope and trust it will plug some of the gaps in the framework and take it forward. Why don't we all just wait and see the beastie before passing judgement?

[eluser]Dennis Rasmussen[/eluser]
Hello codepotato,

You have definitely misunderstood my post in several ways.
I agree with "Enough with the bitchin’. If the effort people are putting into the attacks would go towards extra bug-fixing of CI 2.0 or modules / tutorials, we wouldn’t be in this situation." which is exactly my point. Why create a "new" framework (YES I KNOW it's not a new framework, but you still have to choose between Core and Reactor) and only give Reactor people access to all of these features that they're going to include?

If I choose to stay with CI Core then I won't be able to use the features they add to Reactor (by picking the ones I need which is the sole purpose of CI Core) because it's coded in - and that is what makes me wonder.

And as JasonS clearly pointed out, stability is the key.
How is 10+ features going to add stability? I still have this feeling that people are rushing with Reactor way too fast with too many new features and that is definitely not going to be stable.

Sure... prove me wrong.
I'm not saying Reactor is a bad thing, I just don't like that people push people into it when CI Core is as good as it gets. This entire topic is full of people with a mindset saying "NO YOU'RE BAD FOR NOT WANTING OUR REACTOR!!!1!111roflluzwhatever" and with that remark it feels like the people of CI Core is left out or forced to use Reactor.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
So people actually have some information, here is the list of commits so far:

Quote:summary: Added support for calling controllers, methods and passing parameters via command line, either automatically or specifically with $config['uri_protocol'] = 'CLI';
summary: Fixed version in file uploading docs. Fixes: #255
summary: Added the regex_match Form Validation rule. Had to change how the rules are split so that no regex breaks the rule splitting.
summary: Added full Query String and $_GET array support. This is enabled by default. Added a seperate config option to enable/disable the $_GET array.
summary: Initial commit of Caching Driver.
summary: Languages can now be placed in packages folders, and added ->load->get_package_paths().
summary: Issue #298: $this->table->function = can now accept an array with a valid callback which is passed to call_user_func().
summary: ['404_override'] can now take methods and URI segments, not just a controller name. This is useful for 404 pages on errors/page_missing or /pages/view/404.
summary: Revised the base_url auto-generation detection of protocol as some servers will not send off.
summary: <kbd>['base_url']</kbd> is now empty by default and will guess what it should be.
summary: Package paths can now be auto-loaded in autoload.php.
summary: Upload library file_name can now be set without an extension, the extension will be taken from the uploaded file instead of the given name.
summary: Name can be omitted from ->dbforge->modify_column()'s 2nd param if you aren't changing the name.

You of course have the right to choose, that is the point of keeping both as an offer, but Reactor is not doing anything crazy. We're just fixing bugs improving things and implementing features that people want (after thoroughly discussing all pro's and con's).

What codepotato was referring to was you suggesting I will be going adding in all sorts of random features and crying about things. If I add in any feature that sucks, the other 5 will remove it instantly. That is why there are 6 of us. Have a little faith and everybody please, just wait until it is out.

[eluser]codepotato[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1294263756"]So people actually have some information, here is the list of commits so far:

Quote:summary: Added support for calling controllers, methods and passing parameters via command line, either automatically or specifically with $config['uri_protocol'] = 'CLI';
summary: Fixed version in file uploading docs. Fixes: #255
summary: Added the regex_match Form Validation rule. Had to change how the rules are split so that no regex breaks the rule splitting.
summary: Added full Query String and $_GET array support. This is enabled by default. Added a seperate config option to enable/disable the $_GET array.
summary: Initial commit of Caching Driver.
summary: Languages can now be placed in packages folders, and added ->load->get_package_paths().
summary: Issue #298: $this->table->function = can now accept an array with a valid callback which is passed to call_user_func().
summary: ['404_override'] can now take methods and URI segments, not just a controller name. This is useful for 404 pages on errors/page_missing or /pages/view/404.
summary: Revised the base_url auto-generation detection of protocol as some servers will not send off.
summary: <kbd>['base_url']</kbd> is now empty by default and will guess what it should be.
summary: Package paths can now be auto-loaded in autoload.php.
summary: Upload library file_name can now be set without an extension, the extension will be taken from the uploaded file instead of the given name.
summary: Name can be omitted from ->dbforge->modify_column()'s 2nd param if you aren't changing the name.

You of course have the right to choose, that is the point of keeping both as an offer, but Reactor is not doing anything crazy. We're just fixing bugs improving things and implementing features that people want (after thoroughly discussing all pro's and con's).

What codepotato was referring to was you suggesting I will be going adding in all sorts of random features and crying about things. If I add in any feature that sucks, the other 5 will remove it instantly. That is why there are 6 of us. Have a little faith and everybody please, just wait until it is out.[/quote]

Amen... Look forward to mucking in and seeing what it has to offer.

[eluser]Dennis Rasmussen[/eluser]
Quote:Reactor is not doing anything crazy. We’re just fixing bugs improving things and implementing features that people want (after thoroughly discussing all pro’s and con’s).

Great.

[eluser]jacobkball[/eluser]
It seems people are under the misapprehension that Reactor is Phil's 'baby', and that he's getting carte blanche on it - well, that's clearly not the case, because as has repeatedly been said, there's six members of that team PLUS the Uservoice forum to demonstrate what people are really hoping and voting for.

These guys must feel like banging their head on a brick wall sometimes, as it seems like they just can't win, whichever way they go. People have been banging on about regenerating interest in CI and keeping it moving forward etc, but when a way to do that is established, all the nay-sayers come out of the woodwork, and throw their hands up.

It just bewilders me that there's so much angst about a distribution that people don't even have to use!

I look forward to seeing Reactor when it comes out, and will decide whether it's right for me at that time.

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
It would be nice if everyone else like myself could contribute as well. Is it only the six "chosen ones" allowed to make changes and recommendations or is anyone allowed to submit changes and additions as well? I might only be new to Codeigniter, but I feel as though my many years of PHP experience are more than enough.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB