Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Video Tutorials Outdated

[eluser]Vamsii[/eluser]
Yeah..some one has to do them ..

[eluser]alboyd[/eluser]
Why do you need the old "blog in 20 minutes" tutorial to be redone? Just look around there are plenty of video tutorials that are on 2.0 and more will be coming I'm sure. Most are probably more useful and relevant than creating a blog - who would ever create their own blog when you could just as easily integrate Wordpress into your CI project if you wanted to!

[eluser]igniter_guest[/eluser]
I had hoped installing and configuring CodeIgniter would be straight forward however it has taken me all day!

And then I have spent ages trawling to find out why the video tutorials are giving me errors!

I think you guys need to tidy up the documentation/website as it seems to be a bit out of step with the current version (2.1.0).

Okay, now that I have got that off my chest...

I am new to MVC and CodeIgniter and there is one problem in the second tutorial that I can't seem to find an answer too:

$this->load->scaffolding('entries');

The above line in the blog controller throws the following error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method CI_Loader:Confusedcaffolding() in E:\XAMPP\htdocs\_codeigniter-application\controllers\blog.php on line 11

Any ideas what needs changed to get past this?

Help appreciated.

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
@igniter_guest There's no more 'scaffolding' method inside the loader. I don't know what it was supposed to do (since I started using CI as version 2.0.1 dropped off) and therefore I can't show you the right command.

Maybe they had some crud-model generator within CI 1.7.x? Maybe some of the older people or CI developers may shed some light.

Thanks PhilTem,
I think I have spent enough time fiddling with CodeIgniter to get it up and running for the time being.
The easiest solution is probably to manually add the test entries to the blog database.
I am keen to crack on and get stuff working as quickly as possible, so may come back to adding extentions at a later date when I am more certain that investing time and effort in it will pay off.

J

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
After working with this for awhile I came to the conclusion that the best answer was "learn Django".

[quote author="igniter_guest" date="1332851444"]Any ideas what needs changed to get past this?

Help appreciated.
[/quote]

:-)

So far I like what I see; easy to get to grips with... but hampered by documentation not being up to scratch. I have spent way more time than it should take.

Zend worked like a charm....

I am getting to long in the tooth with development to have patience for this sort of nonsense, but I will give it a fair hearing though.

[eluser]pointmanx[/eluser]
Just keeping it simple:

How hard is it, really, to implement a practice of noting "this was made with version <X.Y>; for documentation/tutorials regarding the latest version, please see <www.example.com/CI/latest_version>" on every item that goes on the production site?

Easy, I would think! Even these introductory tutorials show that it could be loaded in to multible views from a single controller...

Not to be a meanie, but it's a pretty big black eye when the owners of a product don't even do what they show the n00bs how to do.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
Direct quote from the video tutorial page:

Quote:The following tutorials are based on older versions of the CodeIgniter software, and as such may contain outdated code, techniques or methods.
They are still available for viewing for experienced users, but not recommended for new users.

While this is a pretty stupid sentence (when is an experienced user going to need to review a "Hello world" tutorial?!), it does state that they are out of date.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB